Thursday, May 03, 2012

MHAM Day 2: Claire's Magnetix Green

Today I want to talk about Stigma. Stigma is defined by Webster as "A mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person: "the stigma of mental disorder."" Stigma has for hundreds of years made it hell for people with mental illnesses to live their lives with pride. 

Sometimes, I see all these Gay pride parades and all these people fighting for GLTB rights and it makes me mad. It isn't only homosexuals that are treated like shit. It isn't only homosexuals that have to hide in closets, have been marginalized, stigmatized, or demonized. All throughout the world people with Mental Illnesses are denied simple basic human rights. We are labeled as crazy and our rights are taken away. Even our ability to make decisions that affect our lives get taken away. 

One of my favorite examples of the demon-ization of Mental Illness is in Classic literature. One of my favorite books is Jane Eyre. Until I was diagnosed Bi-Polar, I didn't see the horrid truth of the 18th century. Mr. Rochester's wife was cast as a demon, evil, some crazy bitch who had to die. When really she probably had a mental disorder. I don't understand how someone like Bronte, a pre-feminist, would perpetuate mental stigma, and treat another woman like that. It isn't only this book, you can find it all throughout classic literature. This indoctrination that people who are "crazy" are evil. 

Another example in modern day media, would be a recent episode of Glee. There was a whole episode ob bullying and homosexuality, yet thirty minutes later at the end Gwyneth Paltrow made a flippant comment about Mary Todd Lincoln being BiPolar and drowning babies. How is it to make parallels and say that all Bipolar people drown babies? It furthers stigmas. If she had said something about homosexuals, African-Americans, anyone else there would have been an uproar. BUT THERE WASN'T!!! 

I don't know if people know what it is like to live with a mental disorder. To not know who you can tell. To go to the doctor and keep your mouth shut because you are not sure if they are going to think you are "making up" what is happening. How you can't go into a job interview and be truthful to future employers, because you know they won't hire you, even though that is against the law. How you can't tell certain people because they look at you differently, and stop talking to you. Look at you like you're a bomb waiting to go off. Even with people you have known your whole life. Family, people you would think know you. Stigma, is what makes us hide in closets. Stigma is what makes us ashamed to be who we are. Stigma makes us not want to be a part of "normal" society. 

The thing is...WE SHOULD NEVER BE ASHAMED OF WHO WE ARE! NO ONE SHOULD! No one should have the power to make us feel inferior, unless we let them. That is why I want to speak. That is why I am writing these "green" blogs, in the hope that one person will read it and understand. 

I don't want to make it seem like I am diminishing Gay rights or the rights of anyone else. I am for everyone's rights. I am just saying that marginalizing ANYONE is bad. And for too long it has been ok to stigmatize and marginalize the mentally ill. It needs to stop. 

Anywho, on to the polish. Today we have Claire's Magnetix in Green. It is absolutely BE-U-TIFUL!!! This is one of my favorite magnetix. Though the brush kind of sucked. I used four different magnets. Three of them I bought on Ebay. I will tell which is which below the pictures. 

(Stock photo taken from Claires.com)

(Claire's Green Magnetix, 2 Coats)
(LtoR: Straight Mag from Claires, Striaght Mag from Ebay, Star Mag from Ebay, Heart Mag from Ebay)

(Close up of the heart magnet from ebay)
All Four. Love them.

If you want more info on Mental Health go to Nami.org or MHA.net 
If you have an emergency and feel like you might hurt yourself. TELL SOMEONE!!! Call 911. Speak out. Do not be afraid. Trust me. I have been there. Help is a good thing. 

As Always Much Love
<3 Holly




3 comments:

Kari said...

Another powerful post. Really awesome-looking polish, too. I have yet to try any magnetic polishes but I'd like to. :)

kerrie said...

this is a great post! thank you for speaking up

Lisa, Happy Nails said...

That's a beautiful mani, perfect for the cause and is inspiring me to do a Mental Health awareness post too.

ANd it is brave of you to speak up - I've had depression in varying episodes of severity since my teens, and have loved ones with mood and anxiety disorders - so I know how much mental illness messes up your life and how hard it is when people don't understand how much it debilitates you (god, even I get sick of myself sometimes when I can't get out of bed!).

Lisa xx